Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Question for Today : please answer! :)

1)  What is the most influential thing your parent(s) did (in parenting you) as you were growing up?  or... what stands out the most to you when you think of your childhood in regards to your parents? 

i am curious to hear the wide spectrum of answers out there.  these sorts of topics are very interesting to me. :)  plus, i am reading a book that is giving me new vision for parenting my 3.5 year old who is developing her personalty and her independence now....  it is talking about some ideals, but i'd like to hear some practical things so... please... write a response!! i want to read about your memories...


3 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, Blogger Christa said...

Hmmm, a difficult question to answer. Most important to me I think were the little things: waffles on Sunday mornings, backrubs and snuggles, bedtime stories. Something that was important to me and that I think has influenced the way I live, is that our home was always open. Our friends came and went and called my parents "Mom" and "Dad" and were always welcome to stay for a meal or a night or occasionally longer. I want to have the kind of home that is a place where my children like to be and bring their friends.
By the way, what is the name of the book you are reading?

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Sue said...

hullo dear.
i also want our home to be like you described, open and attractive to our kids. what coul dbe better than having a home that they want to bring their friends to and hang out ?? :)

Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel.

i have only read the first chapter and a bit so far. but i think i'm in for some good stuff... :)

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father practiced mercy, and my mother, in spite of her fears, tried her best to support him. There were often tramps at the door as the word would get out that they would be fed. My Dad would literally give the shirt off his back if it were needed by someone else.

There were times when he would drive a little school bus around to pick up kids for Sunday school and would have to give the kids breakfast, and see they were dressed warmly because the parents were too hungover to be bothered.

My father's compassion had an impact on my life that shaped the decisions I made regarding the runaway kids my teens brought home, the homeless living in the field across from my apartment building, and my current involvement in housing exoffenders. He was not without his failings, which also had a huge impact on my life, but it was his compassion that brought out the better part of my outlook and lifestyle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home