Wednesday, May 03, 2006

laughter

I have to share this story while it is fresh.

Today, while we dirtied our hands in the soil of dandilion roots, my daughter decided to entertain the neighborhood. (I'm sure this is quite normal for kids to do, but i just can't get over how funny it is to me!!) She stood, hands clasped, on the sidewalk in the sun.... from that 'platform' she announced to the teenagers three blocks down, "Kids, are you ready?" and thus she began her song. Completely muddled together, she sang three songs in one. (something about birds in the tree top, hockey sticks, and swinging....) At the end of one short song, she would wabble back and forth, heel to toe, and say, "My next song is called, '------------'" and then begin to sing again. i sat back on my heels to laugh at her. Completely free. Totally unashamed of voice, or song, or style. Free to be herself -the cutest and most beautiful little thing i've ever experienced.

Ah, she is sweet. and funny.

love from me. the awe-struck proud mommy. :)

10 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Robyn said...

Good job Julia! Keep mom on her toes. Sing with all you have in you!!
Enjoy your summer day, and the swing!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Sarafina said...

Ahhhhhh....I can just picture it
Good job Jules, from your proud auntie!!!

 
At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, I totally see you sitting there in the mud while Ms. Jules performs her show. That's awesome! I wish I could have seen it...and I can also see you doing the same when you were little, Susan :-)
Love
from
Mel

 
At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i forgot:
"kids are you ready?" that just makes me crack up...she's must be great!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Sue said...

heehee. yeah...she is hilarious.

so good to hear from you Mel!!:)

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger DAve and JAnie said...

AWWWWWW! Wow! That is so cute and funny that the word adorable just doesn't describe it to the fullest. You definately have a free spirited little girl. I wish we could hear her sing and enjoy and stroll in the park together, but only in our dreams right now. You have many years of park performances, afternoon walks, picnics, forts, and flower crafts ahead of you! I smile from ear to ear for you!
Love Janie

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...how cute is that...I read that story to Eric, and he enjoyed it as well. I love how little kids are able to just be themselves and not have a care in the world!! We miss you guys!!

Kari:)

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger ellybeth said...

That is the cutest story! Because of your wonderful writing, I can imagine it perfectly too. Like Mel, I laughed so hard at the "kids are you ready?" part. How awesome is that?!

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger poof said...

That is precious. Now the question is...how do we keep that alive in our kids...somewhere along the line, 80% of us learn to have inhibitions. I suppose, looking back, if I would have not batted an eye, always encouraged, and never told my kids to be quiet, perhaps they would have all stayed that way. But I guess somewhere along the line, the parent gets embarrassed and covers the childs mouth and tells them not to do that...Like the time 3 year old Kristin watched a lady walk by in the quiet thread aisle of the fabric store and said, "Boy is she ugly...Is she EVER ugly!" quite loudly. I suppose it is times like those that we must teach our kids not to embarrass themselves(and us). Is that when it happens? Hmmm...just keep letting her let loose...I love it...

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Sue said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh man. Kristin really broke the mold eh? after three quiet, shy ones - she really lets it out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home