Thursday, January 18, 2007

Just Soupy

So i don't have a lot to say, except...i have such pregnant brain. ik. I am forgetting everything, mixing things up...oh dear. anyway. it isn't so bad i suppose...We visited the midwife today, delightful lady, and i am measuring "textbook" for the size of my belly, the baby, etc etc. Finally my weight gain slowed down, haha, i have already gained MORE than i did through all of my first pregnancy, and i still have 7.5 weeks left! yikes. oh well. Julia asked if she could feel the babys' bum again, so the midwfie brought over a stool and had her pat the babys' bum, very cute. haha.

Anyway, i was going to talk about SOUP. i love soup. One day a week we have a "big" meal that turns into soup for the next couple days of lunch, or for our frozen meal stock (preparing for babytime). This week was something new: SPLIT PEA SOUP. now....i know most of you may be thinking, "yuk! i was forced to eat that as a child, and my mom held the funnel while my dad poured it down my throat!" but i have found the taste delightful in my 'almost grown-up' years, adn had to make it. (no funnel for Julia, she is -of late- a very committed soup eater, adn always asks for mommy's chicken noodle soup, the homemade kind that is)

Our usual soup is Chicken Noodle, and we all love it. The kind made from the carcass of our "big" chicken meal. yumyum. nothing better than that smell of bones boiling! :)

I am in need of more soups of this kind ( made from leftover carcass, etc), since it is a weekly thing in our house, and i don't want the troops to be bored of C.N. ! :)

please give me your soup recipes!!!!!!!! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. (a link to your recipe is fine, or an email...but let me know all the best recipes and we will try them all. Then i will post a winning soup--the one that gets the family and friend approval!!)

love from su

5 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Christa said...

I don't have lots of soup making experience. My kids are not big soup eaters (although Grace and Rachel both love Campbells tomato soup!) Actually the only soup that has ever gone over really well here was the meatball soup your Mom made and you and Dave brought over when Rachel was a baby. Evan still talks about how he only likes meatball soup!
I like Corn chowder and I will e-mail you the recipe that I use. I can't wait to hear about the recipes you get and I would love your chicken noodle recipe. Any time I have tried chicken or turkey soup they have turned out rather blah so I've gotten a little discouraged and not tried for quite a while.
Hugs to you!
CHrista

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger DAve and JAnie said...

SUe... i think a soup blog should be started! I have the same desire as your for more soup.. well, you saw that post. Anyway, we are going to be making soup sometime in the next week or so, so i will be sure to email you whatever we make. I might make a minnestrone from my looneyspoon book. it would have a few canned things (chick peas. i think), but you can always put in the real thing! Anyway, i am at school and need to get back to reading. Just taking a little break!
THink about the soup blog! I would love to be a contributor to it.

Kraft canada has some amazing vegtable cream soups that we love.. can't think of them now, but do a search! often you cook vegatbles, then blend them a little.
Mary makes great turkey soup if you want to hit her up for recipies! Yum... and i love a good old hamburger soup, with noodles, some beans, hamburger, tomatoes and spices... oh and carrots. Or, the same deal but with farmer sausage perhaps.
aren't the possibilities endless. so fun
Have a great day.. ps love that julia likes the babies bum!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I think it is great that Julia likes to feel the baby's bum...hahaha...it is funny, but i like it. she is very interested in the wee one.

:)
thanks for the soup comments.
there is a Borscht recipe in one of the looneyspoons books...i can't remember which one, but it is really really good. tons of veggies in it.
time to get cooking i guess!

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Tara V said...

Hey Sue. I'm a friend of you folks and know your sister as well. I 'stalk' your blog. I don't normally comment, but my husband made a fantastic soup last night so I thought I would pass it on. We used it to clean out some veggies from our fridge.
2 cups of uncooked tortellini
2 box of chicken stock
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can chick peas
the rest he guessed!
fresh spinach
onion
celery
carrots
colored peppers
oregano
bay leaf
And anything else you might have left over hanging around more liquid if needed
Cook!
It was a wonderful soup!
Enjoy

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Sue said...

hey, thanks tara! :)

sounds like a story from a childhood book i read...The dad was an inventor and he did all sorts of crazy things (like invent indoor-real-grass carpets, etc) one of his ideas was LEft over day: friday they would throw alllllllllllll of their left overs into a pot cook and mash.

haha. sounds like fun! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home