Sunday, November 08, 2009

Hard work

Preparing for winter is hard work. So goes the list: Take potted plants indoors, rake 20 - 30 bags of leaves, clean up garage so that outdoor items can fit into the garage for the duration of snowy-wintery months, clean out eaves troughs so that our basement won't get water in it during heavy rainfalls, etc etc etc. whew. Good thing it is a balmy 18 degrees outside today so that it is a pleasure to get these things done! :) The last two days i dedicated to leaf raking with the kids.

Let me tell you, i like the task. Being outdoors, exercising with my kids under foot, it is lovely. But it isn't easy. Child A: helps a lot. She rakes piles for me and picks up dropped toys of child C. Child B: well, lets just say he likes being two and is very good at it! haha. He loves to pretend he is incapable of learning to rake. ("i can't doooooo it mommy. i can't dooooo it") He loves to run through the piles of freshly raked leaves, dragging the colorful things far and wide. (which i suppose is most of the fun, so i don't usually stop this action of his, instead, i use it to my own good... haha. i get him to drag the leaves toward me where ever i am filling bags, and then he ends up helping me even though his aim may be to foil my plans! And i make sure to tell him how helpful he is to get it through to him that it is GOOD and appreciated when he helps!) Child C: sits. watches. occasionally cries for dropped toys. whew! oh and while i'm supervising these three, i'm raking and bagging 20 bags of leaves!!

Now isn't the time to go into my neighbors insulting me and basically telling me i'm lazy because it took so long for me to clean up my yard (see first two paragraphs) ..... but i still have to work on not being angry about that.....God wants me to be a good neighbor... not a resentful one!! :)

Time to go enjoy this gorgeous day!!




3 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - you've been busy!! Thank goodness we don't get very many leaves in our yard! Our back yard is dominated by a GIANT blue spruce, so it provides shade and no leaves! :)

We ran into a similar thing with a neighbour (who, by the way, hires someone to do her yard). Sigh. Oh well, we're doing our best and so are you! I can't wait until we get to the stage when one of the kids can actually be a help! :) Miss you friend!

Kari:)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Sue said...

yes, it is lovely to have a helper! :) It is a shame that people try to decide for us, what they think our priorities should be. it is a good reminder to me, that i need to be careful not to make MY priorities more imp't than other peoples' etc, in some situations it really is "To each, his own" !! :)

love you friend!!! wish we could rake leaves together!
su

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Kari said...

I totally hear you - amazing what a good dose of perspective can do, isn't it? I was bummed because Eric was a way for a few days at a conference, and one day in I caught an awful cold. Now I've realized that if I'm not sick the next time he's gone, it won't be nearly as bad to have him away!! :)

I know...we could find all sorts of fun things to do together!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home