Thursday, August 24, 2006

who knew that caffine could do so much damage?

So this is a confession.

yep. i'm an addict to good books when accompanied by a Tim Hortons large regular coffee. I can't believe myself. Ashamed, i am trying to reveal the truth to you all in this short letter. (heeheh)

Due to a late evening coffee with friends (which, i must add, usually does NO harm to me whatsoever) i was up to the wee hour of 3am. Reading. If i had left the book on the dresser, things may not have lasted so long, but alas, i could not. As if pulled by magnetic forces, it drew me from bed and cast me into a night long read. I haven't done this in years. Finally gaining the wilpower to close the book, i lay quiet, but hardly still. Adrenaline pumping through my veins, i felt like i was trying to sleep on a trampoline at a ten year olds birthday party. Hopelessly i awaiting sweet sleep to finally captivate me( for 3 whole hours), and then it was a thunder storm. Yes. i do love them, but NOT at 6 am. This was untimely. Rescuing my sweet angel from her bed where she lay rigid and shaken, we all cuddled in 'mommy and daddy's ' bed until the storm passed. ( Ahhhhhhhhhhh. SO cute. Julia kept pulling my hand over her eyes, and then announcing after EVERY lightening bolt, "i saw another BIG flash" in her cutest of cute whisper voice. haha.) Then, *sigh* she went back to bed. But it took me a lot longer to fall asleep, and then for such a short time that i don't think it was beneficial.

Anyway. all this to say, if temptation stares you in the face (in the form of Timmie's Coffee and a Francine Rivers novel) run scared the other way. pray hard for deliverance.

I thought i'd be dead on my feet today, but thanks to mama Naus i survived. Her great food and company kept me awake until (forced) to nap. :) thanks mom, i needed the hour and a half extra.

whoohoo. guess who ISN'T going to pretend she's strong enough to stay up all night reading and keep a house running the next day EVER AGAIN. hmm...unless i borrow that book i was drooling over last week.....

Dave may have to follow through on his "book prevention plan".

may happy reads never fail to keep you up at night.

sue

10 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Kari said...

I will sheepishly admit that I suffer from the same affliction, just minus the coffee. I am a compulsive reader, which I come by honestly because each member of my family has been seen at some point walking around in a zombie-like state with a book in their hand while they completed tasks from making toast (applying butter and jam is tricky one handed!) to doing laundry to (attempting!) do one's hair. Thankfully my husband has not yet threatened an intervention, but then again, he doesn't know that I stay up until 2 or 3 o'clock when I have a good book in my hands..and what he doesn't know can't hurt him, right? :) tee hee

What Francine Rivers book were you reading? I've read a few of hers in the past weeks (it's amazing how "morning" sickness can lead a person to read a lot....not much else to do in a horizontal position!!)...

:)

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Sarafina said...

And still up at 9:30 SuSu? Tsk tsk. I feel for you girl...oh, it's not fun to not sleep and then have to be a responsible adult, not to mention mother the next day!! Sounded like a good book though! Very 'captivating' wasn't it? Heehee.
I too have suffered from such afflictions, ever since my young days of reading under the covers with a pen-light or from the light of the hallway. My my, is it any wonder I needed stronger and stronger glasses? Happy reading (in daytime hours!) (0:
love to y'all from us

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger DAve and JAnie said...

uh oh!

I just don't do all nighters. I used to be a master at it... paper after paper after paper. I have never stayed up for a good book, rather just to write papers long enough to be a book. Ekkk, and that takes thoughtfulness. Those are the best papers to read the next day.
It is 10:30 and i am already exhausted.

Meg is visiting from abbotsford and we are having a blast!
Now go to bed friend,
Janie

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Doug said...

I also have been tempted to join the wee hours reading club but the thought of keeping 30 rascals in line the next day while in a zombie-like state was enough to deter me. Short term gratification always has a price. I have a sister who was over the top when it comes to reading. Somewhere I have a picture of her at the age of 10 reading a book while on the merry-go-round at DISNEYLAND! Oblivious to Mickey, Minnie, the Matterhorn etc.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Sue said...

hahahaha. Good stories folks, i enjoyed them all....funny, i can envision Kari, your family walking like vombies (heehee)with books in hand. it was her book, "And the Shofar Blew" sad, good, real to this age. all about how the modern day church has gone wrong.

and yes, sarah, being the parent the next day...ug...i am just soo tired and nasty feeling...and accountable for all i say and do! haha. good thing i've got dave here today, that helped a lot. just had a two hour nap during nap time.

Janie--MEG IS THERE!!! SO NOT FAIR!!

say hi to her and hug her lots. :)

Dad, you can stay up all night reading now can't you?? no more 30-kids to teach every day??? :) do it! :) heehee.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Robyn said...

wee hour reading isn't normal?? boy.. do I need help then... I regularly read until 3-4 am... not sure why.. I don't seem to sleep. Last night it was almost 4am before I said enough and put my book down. I laid in bed watching the clock for 25 min more, before I rolled over and cuddled with Jason... however his alarm clock soon woke us both at 645am.
I had to announce to both my sister and my son, that "Mommy is cranky today, I don't advise gettin in my way today" They were both really good, and stayed far far away LOL.
Glad that you were able to get a nap in to help with the wee hour reading. you will have to tell us more about Dave's plan..

Hugs

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Amy said...

For me, it's the book, not the caffeine that does such damage.
I time my forays into early morning reader-dom to coincide with a day where Paul will be at home. Paul usually laughs at me, but gets to bed because he knows he's going to be the one handling the kids the next day!
If I gotten into a good book and it's a weeknight, well, I usually lose it to the Paul-meanie!
Yup, it's the Wrestle The Item From The Desperate Grasp Of Your Sweetheart, Paul Hills- You're Not Staying Up Late Tonight!- Book Prevention Plan. It usually works.
G'night!

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger poof said...

I'd like to know the name of that book, Sue.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Sue said...

AND THE SHOFAR BLEW-francine rivers.

:)

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger jan@theviewfromher said...

okay, I know I'm like a month behind commenting on this post, but I hope you still get notification. Since you mentioned Francine Rivers, I thought you might like to know they are currently making one of her novels, "The Last Sin Eater," into a full-length movie. I posted about it at theviewfromher.com.
You have a nice blog, and judging by the comments, some wonderful friends! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home