Tuesday, September 23, 2008

How To Prepare for a Home Birth

Bed: check. have one set of sheets to labor on, and one set to rest on after your baby is born. when in labor, make the bed. First put on the lovely sheets you want to rest on with baby, then cover them with plastic sheets and then the sheets to labor on.simple eh?
Flashlight: check. just in case the power goes out.
Bright lights: check.
lots of pillows: check.
Gatorade: check. for those good ol' electrolites! can't get enough of them! :)
Hydrogen peroxide: check.
paper towels: check.
Tylenol/Arnika: check. for constant relief after baby comes. :)
hot water bottle: to keep baby blankets pre-warmed. check.
Bag full of Pre-laundered baby blankets, wash cloths, and other linens: check.
Sea Salts: check. for that LOVELY bath the midwives make for baby and mama after birth!! aaaaahhhh. i can't wait!!
This may look messy, but it is all necessary 'stuff':
a bag of home birth supplies, supplied by the midwives. check.
A bag of pre-laundered sheets, dried on 'hot' and stored in a sealed bag until needed. check.
My bag of clothes, baby clothes, and after birth 'stuff'. you know... all the goods.
Ah, yes, and the birthing ball. thanks to my Doula, Heather!! :) this will save my legs from getting tired when i am laboring....

anyway. i thought a wee little tutorial would be fun as i await the event. hope you all enjoyed it! (and that it wasn't too much info for some of you!! haha)

su

7 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger Elise Susanne said...

Aaahh, very informative and clearly good for those who desire a homebirth. You're a brave woman, Susan, just the thought of all the prep and having to labor at home makes me shiver. I couldn't do it. Hopefully all will go as planned and quickly for you in the next few days.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger DAve and JAnie said...

Very interesting! That's neat to read that you will also have a doula. I hope that helps everything go well.
Enjoy yourself... well, as much as one can!

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger derek salmon said...

well i am sooo intrigued now :)

i had no idea you were home-birthing it. i will have to give my friend your blog info too. she's had 2 kids born at home.

if i didnt love my doctor so much, i'd probably try it too. hopefully my doula will help make this birth a little more natural for me at the hospital :)

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Sue said...

heya folks,
yes it is interesting eh? :)
Sam was born at our last home, and it was such a relaxing experience that we really wanted to try again.

My friend just became a doula, so i am letting her use my birth as one of her 'trial' births. Like midwives, she needs a certain number of births to be certified.. i think.

the midwives here are awesome. and very very well educated and experienced. they are kept under strict guidelines by the hospital etc.. so if you are 'highrisk' or if certain circumstances occur during a birth, there is a transfer of care to the doc.'s. anyway...
i love them! :)

hope to have this baby soon...
su

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger The dB family said...

I never went the home birth round. I never did bother to find out if I was high risk either, I just assumed I was. ( I won't bore you with the details :-)). It sounds like a wonderful experience though!

Hopefully, I well see a new little one here very soon!

Blessings!

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Christa said...

Glad to see you are keeping busy, preparing and taking pictures, while you wait for your blessing to arrive. I can't wait to hear the news!! By the way, you are a beautiful, glowing pregnant lady!!
Hugs xoxo

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger poof said...

Waiting expectantly to hear the news...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home