Friday, October 01, 2010

playing catch-up

As I looked through my fall photos from this year, i realized that there was a lapse in my posting of them. So here is a catch up post... Some photos of our weekend trip to the Wyoming fall fair and some of Mercy's little family birthday day. :)

The Fair was a delight this year because we shared the day with our dear friends and with Oma and Opa, of course. Julia and I worked on some art projects to place in the competition, so our wandering in the craft hall was much more exciting as we found ribbons attached to our work! wow!! who knew that was so exhilarating! :)

I love the feeling of crisp fall air against my skin, the smell of barns and hay and carnival foods, the sound of kids playing, chicks chirping, popcorn popping.... *sigh* i love the joy in watching 7 kids running crazily to and fro to pet the horses, sheep and deer.... to see the games, to eat their treats, to laugh with their friends.

This joy was mingled with sadness, as two of the kids we were watching that day had an older sister in the hospital with serious complications due to diabetes. She is fine now, and actually playing in a soccer tournament today (PRaise the LOrd!!), but it was a LONG long long week of praying ( what a blessing that our whole school seemed to draw together to pray for her, and take care of her family!! wow!! ).

Writing down the blessings i see in my everyday life may need to be my new discipline, because i am in a season of self pity. Ugly as that is, I am daily battling little things that make my heart pity myself for a wide variety of reasons. I think a lot of moms out there can relate. (at least I hope so, or i'm in a lot more trouble than i first thought ha!) God is working on my heart, and anyone is welcome to pray for that process. And so, I will be working more diligently to remind myself of the Joy the Lord has given me in His sacrifice, and the Blessings of life, love, family, friends, provision, and so so so so much more. When i think about my silly self pity, I feel despicable since I know i am a spoiled little Canadian girl - how dare I feel sorry for myself! seriously. THANK YOU JOHN PIPER, for the next little blurb:

“The nature and depth of human pride are illuminated by comparing boasting to self-pity. Both are manifestations of pride. Boasting is the response of pride to success. Self-pity is the response of pride to suffering. Boasting says, ‘I deserve admiration because I have achieved so much.’ Self-pity says, ‘I deserve admiration because I have sacrificed so much.’ Boasting is the voice of pride in the heart of the strong. Self-pity is the voice of pride in the heart of the weak. Boasting sounds self-sufficient. Self-pity sounds self-sacrificing.

The reason self-pity does not look like pride is that it appears to be needy. But the need arises from a wounded ego, and the desire of the self-pitying is not really to see them as helpless, but as heroes. The need self-pity feels does not come from a sense of unworthiness, but from a sense of unrecognized worthiness. It is the response of unapplauded pride.”

John Piper

Desiring God, 222"

hmmm. good thoughts for ... A LIFETIME. :)











2 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Elise Susanne said...

Great pictures of Mercy! She looks so much like Julia hey?? Also I love the quote. I totally get how we as moms get caught up in that with ourselves and our kids. Life can be challenging with the kids but there are so many ways it could be so much worse right! Thanks for the challenge.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger The dB family said...

Excellent quote! It's tough to cultivate a heart of gladness sometimes, but you're definitely on the right track! John Piper's quote is good thoughts for a lifetime for sure!

Enjoy this season of life, my friend! It's over so quickly!

Blessings and prayers!
Deborah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home